: urlencode() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/customer/www/ngo.cpdcngo.org/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php
on line 5683
The DCOA Inc. is a voluntary, non-government, non-profit organization established in 1993. The Council serves as a coordinating body for groups, Homes, and individuals concerned with the care and welfare of Older Persons. The organization operates under the Core values of Care, Cooperation, and Commitment, to provide information, education, and awareness island-wide and to the world by extension; about our greatest Gems, our Centenarians, and our resilient Older Persons.
The Mission of DCOA Inc. is “to be the umbrella coordinating organization to design and provide programs that meet the needs of older persons in Dominica through effective representation and mobilization of all necessary resources to ensure they ‘Live Life to the Fullest.’”
The Vision of the DCOA Inc. is “to be an Autonomous, well respected effective and flexible umbrella organization, promoting the wellbeing of older persons who are empowered to Live Life to the fullest.”
- To empower Older Persons in Dominica through promoting and facilitating the implementation of the United Nations Principles of Older Persons and the 2002 MIPPA
- To address all issues which affect Older Persons in Society.
- To promote the concept of preparation for the golden years.
- To develop and influence the adoption, maintenance, development, and change of National Policies for the Older Person.
- To develop programs to meet the needs of Older Persons in keeping with the National Policy with particular emphasis on the most vulnerable.
- Coordinate activities and establish linkages among groups with common interests in the Older Person.
- To negotiate special privileges/services for the benefit of the Older Person.
- To seek funding for programs from local, regional and international agencies.
- To create public awareness and understanding of the needs of the Older Person.
- To educate and contribute to alleviating the needs of the Older Person.
- To create public awareness of the contribution made by the Older Person to the nation and the world.
- To promote the recognition of the knowledge and skills of the Older Person to prevent marginalization.
- To seek affiliation with local, regional, and international bodies with similar objectives.
- To promote the U.N. Principles of Older Persons and the 2002 MIPP
- The DCOA Inc. is mandated to ensure Elder Abuse is condemned, and each year on June 15th, WEAAD makes head waves across the island. WEAAD is also symbolized by wearing something purple. The Month of the Elderly (MOTE) is celebrated annually by the DCOA Inc. for the entire month of September. It climaxes on October 1st, which the UN observes as the International day of Older Persons. The Council ensures that we make the MOTE a ‘BIG DEAL.’
- Sharing a Christmas Moment is celebrated once a year in December. This event brings all (over 400) DCOA members together in a central location. Each year, the Council sponsors a Christmas activity for its members to come together and interact with each other. This allows its members to meet new and existing members. The main aim of this event is to give back and bring cheer to its members.
- Each year the DCOA Inc. hosts a Valentine’s Day fundraising to raise funds for the Council. This dinner is held during the season/period of Valentine’s. Tickets for the dinner are sold primarily to DCOA members and are sent to local businesses and organizations to purchase. The response to this dinner is mostly positive, and people look forward to this grand event every year.